Cedar Park Standoff Ends Peacefully

Cedar Park, Texas — After 17 hours of negotiations, the officer-involved shooting suspect in Cedar Park was identified after he finally surrendered to authorities this morning. The man was identified as 26-year-old Joseph DeSean Taylor.

After releasing his brother and young sister at 7:50 a.m., Taylor and his mother came outside of the home an hour later as he peacefully turned himself over to police. The incident began yesterday after his mother called the police to report that he had kicked in her door and was being aggressive. Responding to the call, Cedar Park police officers were met with gunfire, injuring three of them, and setting off the standoff.

taylorThis was not the first time they have had to respond to the residence. According to Williamson County court records, Taylor was arrested in a family violence incident in September of 2019. A probable cause affidavit states Taylor strangled a 15-year-old family member when the two got into a physical fight over money. The incident happened at the same Natalie Cove address where the standoff happened Sunday. The 2019 case was dismissed in March of this year due to insufficient evidence to sustain a conviction.

According to court documents, Taylor’s mother told officers her son had been living with her in Cedar Park for about four weeks and had “exhibited violent behaviors for an extended period of time”. She told Cedar Park Police her son had been verbally aggressive, abusive and threatening towards all members of the household. She reported her son had located her handgun, purchased ammunition and claimed “he needed it now to protect himself form those trying to ‘get him,'” according to police report.

The three officers from Sunday’s shooting have been identified as:

  • Officer Jacqueline Quiles – a 4-year veteran of CPPD
  • Officer Cris Hester – a 10-year veteran of CPPD
  • Officer Nik Anderson – an 8-year veteran of CPPD

All three sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the shooting. Two were released from the hospital Sunday evening, and one underwent surgery Monday morning and is in stable condition. All three officers have been placed on administrative leave while an investigation into the shooting takes place, which Harmon says is standard protocol for any officer-involved shooting.

Taylor was taken to a nearby hospital for examination before he was booked into the Williamson County Jail on Monday afternoon. He is facing three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on a public servant, and three counts of aggravated kidnapping. All of the charges are first degree felonies.

Harmon said the Texas Rangers are now leading the investigation into the shooting and standoff, along with Cedar Park.


August 17 briefing with Police Chief Mike Harmon


error: Content is protected !!